Student attire should facilitate participation in learning as well as the health and safety of students and the adults that supervise them. In general, students are to avoid wearing clothing judged to be disruptive to the educational process or to create a safety issues. This policy is intended to provide guidance for students, staff, and parents. Any exceptions to the dress code for special events at school will be announced in advance.
- Clothing must cover areas from one armpit across to the other armpit, down to approximately 3 to 4 inches in length on the upper thighs (see image). Tops must have shoulder straps. Rips or tears in clothing should be lower than the 3 to 4 inches in length.
- Shoes must be worn at all times and should be safe for the school environment (pajamas, bedroom shoes or slippers shall not be worn, except for school activities approved by the principal).
- See-through or mesh garments must not be worn without appropriate coverage underneath that meet the minimum requirements of the dress code.
- Headgear including hats, hoodies, and caps are not allowed unless permitted for religious, medical, or other reason by school administration.
- Specialized courses may require specialized attire, such as sports uniforms or safety gear.
- Clothing may not depict, imply, advertise, or advocate illegal, violent, or lewd conduct, weapons, or the use of alcohol, tobacco, marijuana or other controlled substances.
- Clothing may not depict or imply pornography, nudity, or sexual acts.
- Clothing may not display or imply vulgar, discriminatory, or obscene language or images.
- Clothing may not state, imply, or depict hate speech/imagery targeting groups based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation, or any other protected classification.
- Sunglasses may not be worn inside the building.
- Clothing and accessories that endanger student or staff safety may not be worn.
- Apparel, jewelry, accessories, tattoos, or manner of grooming that, by virtue of its color, arrangement, trademark or any other attribute, denotes membership in a gang that advocates illegal or disruptive behavior is prohibited.
- Facemasks must meet all of the above requirements.
The administration at Great Falls High School reserves the right to determine what constitutes appropriate dress. Students who do not adhere to these guidelines will not be allowed to attend class. Parents will be called if appropriate clothing is not available or the student refuses dress-code appropriate clothing.