Student safety precautions for getting to and from school:
- Students should walk in groups or pairs
- Students should travel on a designated route, and parents should know the route their student is taking
- Students should check in with a responsible individual when they arrive at home
- Students should be taught to always be aware of their surroundings
- Students should avoid alleys on their designated route to/from school
- Students should walk on designated sidewalks and in well-lit areas
- Parents should notify the school when after-school procedures change
School Disruptions Information
- Factors Considered for School Schedule Change Due to Weather
- School Disruptions Information
- School Disruptions Parent Letter
- Refrigerator Note
- Edulink Information
Safety Tips and Information for Parents
- Winter Safety Tips
- Halloween Safety Tips
- Wildfire Recommendations Outdoor Sporting Events
- Back to School Safety Tips for Community Members
- GFPS Safety Brochure
- Helping Your Child Cope
- Preventing Child Sexual Assault and Abuse
- Talking to your Child About School Shootings
- Talking to Your Child About the Boston Marathon Bombing
- OLWEUS: This program is currently used to supplement anti-bullying efforts in grades K-6.
Information for Employees
For further information, please visit the following websites:
Safety procedures definitions
Evacuation: Defined as an internal threat such as fire that requires students and staff to leave the building for their safety.
Lockdown: Defined as an internal threat and/or immediate threat.
Shelter In Place: Defined as a safety precaution taken for possible external threat that is not an immediate or internal threat. No one IN or OUT without administrator approval.
Class Hold: Defined as a safety precaution implemented during an incident where students need to be kept in the classroom.
Release with Care: Defined as a possible threat in the schools' neighborhoods during arrival and release time. Release with care procedures.
- To ensure safety, the building administrator may ask staff to escort students to/from buses or waiting cars.
- Staff may also be asked to accompany students home.