GFPS Graduation Requirements
The Board shall award a regular high school diploma to every student enrolled in the District who meets the requirements of graduation established by the District. The official transcripts will indicate the specific courses taken and level of achievement.
High School (9-12) Graduation Requirements - 23 Credits
- English (4 credits) with demonstrated proficiency in public speaking/communication skills and writing each year to earn credit.
- Social Studies (3 credits)
- Mathematics (3 credits, including Algebra I unless waived through the Applied Math prerequisite process)
- Science (3 credits, which shall include Foundations of Science or an additional elective upon demonstration of equivalent proficiency, one credit in biology and one credit of science elective.
- Health Enhancement (2 credits)
- Vocational/Practical Arts (1 credit which shall include either Career and Technical Education and/or media production)
- Fine Arts: Art, Drama, Music (1 credit)
- Computer Literacy (.5 credit or demonstration of proficiency in word processing, spreadsheets, database management and Internet basics)
- General Electives (5.5 credits, which shall include a second year of sequential study in a fine art, foreign language or vocational/practical art)
Dual Credit Program
Great Falls Public Schools sets the bar high for students. We want to encourage a strong finish to their senior year and require that all students have a solid plan for college and career before they leave our high schools. Many of our students need and want to take relevant and rigorous courses, especially their last two years of high school. If they articulate a dream or plan of going to college, they should have an opportunity to experience the rigor and relevance of college course work while still in high school if they so choose. There are financial advantages of taking dual credit courses to the student and the parent. In most cases the tuition costs for high-school students are about half the normal fees. Currently we offer 20 college-level courses through cooperative agreements with four different Montana colleges and universities.
To access the Dual Credit Matrix click here.
Career and Technical Education
Career and Technical Education...Skills For The Future
To access the CTE website, click here.
The Visions Newsletter is designed to help parents stay current with the classroom and other activities that the counselors in the high schools have scheduled for all students to help them in their planning for high school and beyond. If parents are ever in need of more information about any of the Counseling Department activities, they can call 268-6159 at C. M. Russell or 268-6330 at Great Falls High for more information.
To view the Visions Newsletter click here.
College Bound Information
FAFSA Filing Event
The FAFSA Filing Events, hosted by Student Assistance Foundation, Great Falls Public Schools, and Great Falls College MSU will be offered two days each month at Great Falls High and C. M. Russell High Schools along with one Saturday each month a varying locations around Great Falls. These events will begin in the month of February and continue throught the month of May. Financial Aid advisors will be on-hand to help you and your student fill out and submit the FAFSA, as well as provide an overview of the FAFSA and answers to all of your financial aid questions! The following dates are available for sign-up, so please contact your high school's Pathway Advisor today!
CMR - Christine Perkins 268-6160
GFH - Bridgette Pence 268-6338
C M Russell High School
February 5, 1pm-3pm
February 19, 1pm-3pm
March 5, 9am-noon
March 19, 9am-noon
April 8, 1pm-3pm
April 15, 9am-noon
Great Falls High School
February 5, 9am-noon
February 19, 9am-noon
March 5, 1pm-3pm
March 19, 1pm-3pm
April 8, 9am-noon
April 15, 1pm-3pm
Paris Gibson Education Center
February 12, 9am-11:45am
To receive REMINDERS on scholarship deadlines, college visits, and other senior news via text messages or e-mails, please sign up for Miss Van Tighem’s “Senior News” at www.remind101.com.
How to sign up for Miss Van Tighem's Senior News notifications:
Text @seniornew to (858) 386-1978 or Email seniornew [at] mail [dot] remind101 [dot] com (seniornew [at] mail [dot] remind101 [dot] com)
Remind101 Inc., a safe way for teachers to communicate with students and parents.
To opt-out, text 'unsubscribe @seniornew' to (858) 386-1978. Standard text message rates apply. Visit remind101.com to learn more.
For more information on college visits and scholarship information contact the counseling offices at your high school.
- C. M. Russell Counseling office, click here.
- Great Falls High Counseling office, click here.
- GFH Scholarship News, click here.
- MSU Great Falls College of Technology, click here.
- University of Great Falls, click here.