GFPS Graduation Requirements
The Board shall award a regular high school diploma to every student enrolled in the District who meets the requirements of graduation established by the District. The official transcripts will indicate the specific courses taken and level of achievement.
High School (9-12) Graduation Requirements - 23 Credits
- English (4 credits) with demonstrated proficiency in public speaking/communication skills and writing each year to earn credit.
- Social Studies (3 credits)
- Mathematics (3 credits, including Algebra I unless waived through the Applied Math prerequisite process)
- Science (3 credits, which shall include Foundations of Science or an additional elective upon demonstration of equivalent proficiency, one credit in biology and one credit of science elective.
- Health Enhancement (2 credits)
- Vocational/Practical Arts (1 credit which shall include either Career and Technical Education and/or media production)
- Fine Arts: Art, Drama, Music (1 credit)
- Computer Literacy (.5 credit or demonstration of proficiency in word processing, spreadsheets, database management and Internet basics)
- General Electives (5.5 credits, which shall include a second year of sequential study in a fine art, foreign language or vocational/practical art)
Dual Credit Program
Great Falls Public Schools sets the bar high for students. We want to encourage a strong finish to their senior year and require that all students have a solid plan for college and career before they leave our high schools. Many of our students need and want to take relevant and rigorous courses, especially their last two years of high school. If they articulate a dream or plan of going to college, they should have an opportunity to experience the rigor and relevance of college course work while still in high school if they so choose. There are financial advantages of taking dual credit courses to the student and the parent. In most cases the tuition costs for high-school students are about half the normal fees. Currently we offer 20 college-level courses through cooperative agreements with four different Montana colleges and universities.
To access the Dual Credit Matrix click here.
Career and Technical Education
Career and Technical Education...Skills For The Future
To access the CTE website, click here.
The Visions Newsletter is designed to help parents stay current with the classroom and other activities that the counselors in the high schools have scheduled for all students to help them in their planning for high school and beyond. If parents are ever in need of more information about any of the Counseling Department activities, they can call 268-6159 at C. M. Russell or 268-6330 at Great Falls High for more information.
To view the Visions Newsletter click here.
College Visit Information
MSU Billings - Tuesday, November 11th @ 8:15 AM at GFHS Counseling Office
Minot State - Tuesday, November 11th @ 8:30 AM at GFHS Counseling Office
MSU-Bozeman - Monday, November 17th @ 9:00 AM at GFHS Counseling Office
Missoula College - Monday, November 17th @ 10:00 AM at GFHS Counseling Office
U of M Western - Friday, November 21st @ 10:00 AM at GFH Counseling Office
U of M Missoula - Friday, November 21st @ 12:30 PM at GFH Counseling Office
To receive REMINDERS on scholarship deadlines, college visits, and other senior news via text messages or e-mails, please sign up for Miss Van Tighem’s “Senior News” at www.remind101.com.
How to sign up for Miss Van Tighem's Senior News notifications:
Text @seniornew to (858) 386-1978 or Email seniornew [at] mail [dot] remind101 [dot] com (seniornew [at] mail [dot] remind101 [dot] com)
Remind101 Inc., a safe way for teachers to communicate with students and parents.
To opt-out, text 'unsubscribe @seniornew' to (858) 386-1978. Standard text message rates apply. Visit remind101.com to learn more.
For more information on college visits and scholarship information contact the counseling offices at your high school.
- C. M. Russell Counseling office, click here.
- Great Falls High Counseling office, click here.
- GFH Scholarship News, click here.
- Great Falls College-MSU, click here.
- University of Great Falls, click here.
Other College Resources: